Be Fraiche DIY Skincare Workshop - Bondi Junction, Sydney
Have you ever thought about making your own skincare? I was recently invited to Be Fraiche's lotion and cream workshop. This workshop is created and ran by lovely Helen, she has a background in Organic Skincare Formulation and perfumery. You are learning from an expert!
The workshop started with self introductions and we learned a little about Helen. She went through a few slides and explained different ingredients in skincare. This was FASCINATING! Unless the ingredients are put in layman's term in brackets, I usually don't have a clue what it is or it's role in my skincare (See picture below).
We each received a handy little booklet which provided fantastic information about an array of different ingredients, what they are good for and the formula to make rich cream and lotion. This booklet was put together by Helen!
Here are a few things I learned from Helen during the workshop:
- Emulsifier contains water and oil parts.
- Propylparaben is a synthetic preservative.
- Essential oils are made from distilled plants, only a small amount of essential oil is produced through the plants while the rest is fragrant water that can be used in making Turkish delight etc.
- Patchouli oil is great for anti ageing.
- Companies are able to patent perfume, hence hide their "secret ingredients" within the perfume so it does not need to be disclosed.
- Preservatives are only required when making water based skincare products. It is not required in oil based products, however Vitamin E is necessary to prevent the oils from going rancid.
- Children under 6 years old should not be in contact with essential oils as they may develop allergies.
Before we started making our own skincare, Helen demonstrated each step to guide us. All tools and equipment were provided at the workshop. We each made our own oil based rich cream mine had mango butter, grapeseed oil, sweet almond oil, vitamin E and sweet orange essential oil for the scent.
To make the Emulsion, we got into groups - my skin is forever changing. It was combination for most of this month and now it's dry and chapped by wind burn. The Emulsion was a little bit difficult to make, the combination of the oil and water was tricky but with Helen's guidance and having a pro mixer in our group we made the perfect lotion!
We used a naturally derived preservative so it will last for approximately 6 months.
I highly recommend this for those who love DIY, into natural skincare and want to know what goes into their skincare. This workshop is also perfect if you like to customise the texture and scent of your creams. If you are sick of paying a ridiculous amount of money for skincare and looking for natural alternative, check out Helen's workshops!
Be Fraiche Workshop
Price Range: $95-$170
Website (coming soon): https://www.befraiche.com/
Book here: https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/make-your-own-skincare-workshop-series-tickets-22716738376
*Lily not Louise was invited to this workshop as a guest, thanks to Helen from Be Fraiche.