Monday, December 5, 2011

District Dining - Surry Hills

After much deliberation and soul searching on Urbanspoon, my friend and I decided to have lunch at the infamous district dining,
tucked away in Surry Hills. We fought through the wind, cold and blizzards in our t-shirt and three-quarter shorts. I left my umbrella at home out of stupidity... actually, no. It's summer. What the hell! 

We started off with two entrees. Crispy quail eggs, tarragon mayonaise (Left) $14 --- Beautiful quail eggs, crunchy exterior, soft and runny centre, I love my eggs! Can't say the same for the mayo.. it was unique... no doubt, but rather sour and cheesy. Personally, i don't think it's a brilliant combination with the quail eggs.

To the left is Crispy school prawns, lime mayonaise $16 ----- My friend and I came to an agreement that you can devour these prawns like chips. I never eat prawn heads, but you can eat these whole. Instead of buying popcorn for the movies, just get a box of these. Paired nicely with the lime mayo. Loved it. Though my baby stomach is not used to so much deep fried goodies!


Forgive me, I have no idea why these pictures are slanted this way. We shared a main; Crispy pork belly, Prawns, salad, chilli, peanuts $29 (I think). ----- The prawns were very fresh. The salad was interesting, it was sweet with a hint of bitter towards the end. I love the combination of chilli, peanuts and cabbage though. The pork belly crackling was great, nice and crisp. The pork belly itself however..... was dry. I was extremely disappointed. It was stringy, over cooked and dry. My friend got a slightly better piece.. There were two pieces of pork belly hidden under the prawns and salad. This was a huge let down.

The side of potatoes on the other hand was favoursome. I think it was a pesto/garlic/olive oil dressing but it was divine, can't go wrong with potatoes.


Meringue, strawberries and cream, raspberry sorbet $14 for dessert ---- This was a hit. Excellent balance of flavours. The sweetness of the meringue, slight sour of the cream & strawberries + dried raspberry... and those yellow flowers... don't diss them, they add this unique sweet taste to the dish!

The interior decor was fairly modern, setting is in standards of a moderately classy laid-back restaurant. Service was good, however the staff was not very attentive... it was difficult to catch their attention... Otherwise, fairly friendly. 

District Dining on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your blog link. I would love to check out your blog and follow back!

Featured Post

Skin do’s and don’ts this holiday season

So, the holiday season is upon us! However whilst you're out there enjoying the summer vibes, it's crucial not to let your skincare ...

Popular Posts