District Dining - Surry Hills

After much deliberation and soul searching on Urbanspoon, my friend and I decided to have lunch at the infamous district dining,
tucked away in Surry Hills. We fought through the wind, cold and blizzards in our t-shirt and three-quarter shorts. I left my umbrella at home out of stupidity... actually, no. It's summer. What the hell! 

We started off with two entrees. Crispy quail eggs, tarragon mayonaise (Left) $14 --- Beautiful quail eggs, crunchy exterior, soft and runny centre, I love my eggs! Can't say the same for the mayo.. it was unique... no doubt, but rather sour and cheesy. Personally, i don't think it's a brilliant combination with the quail eggs.

To the left is Crispy school prawns, lime mayonaise $16 ----- My friend and I came to an agreement that you can devour these prawns like chips. I never eat prawn heads, but you can eat these whole. Instead of buying popcorn for the movies, just get a box of these. Paired nicely with the lime mayo. Loved it. Though my baby stomach is not used to so much deep fried goodies!


Forgive me, I have no idea why these pictures are slanted this way. We shared a main; Crispy pork belly, Prawns, salad, chilli, peanuts $29 (I think). ----- The prawns were very fresh. The salad was interesting, it was sweet with a hint of bitter towards the end. I love the combination of chilli, peanuts and cabbage though. The pork belly crackling was great, nice and crisp. The pork belly itself however..... was dry. I was extremely disappointed. It was stringy, over cooked and dry. My friend got a slightly better piece.. There were two pieces of pork belly hidden under the prawns and salad. This was a huge let down.

The side of potatoes on the other hand was favoursome. I think it was a pesto/garlic/olive oil dressing but it was divine, can't go wrong with potatoes.


Meringue, strawberries and cream, raspberry sorbet $14 for dessert ---- This was a hit. Excellent balance of flavours. The sweetness of the meringue, slight sour of the cream & strawberries + dried raspberry... and those yellow flowers... don't diss them, they add this unique sweet taste to the dish!

The interior decor was fairly modern, setting is in standards of a moderately classy laid-back restaurant. Service was good, however the staff was not very attentive... it was difficult to catch their attention... Otherwise, fairly friendly. 

District Dining on Urbanspoon

Comments